Friday, October 3, 2008

On the Road of Myself



Do you know whom I saw today?
Myself down an ancient country road,
A twelve year old looking around a curve.
I didn’t know whether to lead or follow,
For I knew the road all too well.
I knew each loose and tripping stone,
Every broken jarring pothole,
Every rut and hill to its destination.

I could show where the mudslides were,
Where the high grass hid the carnivores.
I knew the distances from day to night,
The long lasting stretches of exposure,
The asylum of sheltered sites,
Waterholes of sanctuary
Where gathered each fellow journeyman
On this over-traveled road to desperation.

I met myself when I was young
And decided that I would follow
The boy I was once, not the man he is.          
I promise not to cry out directions
When he takes a different turn
I’ll be silent at each mistake
And embrace the unknown path taken
And look ahead in joyful anticipation.






Please scroll down and turn off my music player if you choose to watch the video.





No comments: