Monday, May 10, 2010

To that Thing What Got Dan Qualye In Trouble


TO THAT THING WHAT GOT DAN QUALYE IN TROUBLE
A Kyrielle




There is no vegetable I know
More ‘joyable than potato
As a kid I chomped them down raw.
Few ways to cook them I won’t chaw.

Pat of butter and pepper up
An Idaho plump, brown and baked.
Any time I sit down to sup,
You can serve toasted potatoes caked.

I grew up on truck stop hash browns
Traipsing my daddy’s breakfast rounds,
When he’d let me travel those towns
His eighteen-wheeler rolled us to.

When it came to Sunday chicken
Dinner at my grandma’s table,
Or Thanksgiving turkey day meals,
I’d gobble as much mashed as able.

But when it comes down to king spud,
Truth be told and you know it, bud,
If it came to one choice to make.
Gotta be the fries they call steak.

No comments: